HCT Cluster Meeting Minutes, 04 Feb 2016

23 February 2016

HCT Minutes 4 February 2016

Chair: RC a.i., Michael Jones

 

1. General Update by RC

  • The chair informed that there has not been an HCT for a while and most clusters are not active any more, however, in a disaster-prone country with a residual emergency population of 3.5 million, including 40,000 in camps, it would be critical to continue the meetings as a forum for regularly monitoring this caseload and identifying needs and resource gaps. The HCT will also need to ensure preparedness measures are in place to ensure a high level of readiness for the upcoming monsoon season and other contingencies. 

 

2. Sectoral updates      

The chair asked the sectors for brief updates on ongoing work.

  • Fuel: Pippa Bradford from WFP shared a one-pager clarifying supplies and process for allocation. There is currently sufficient fuel for the logistics cluster and logistics requirements for winterization. If fuel has to be allocated for activities beyond this scope approval by government would be required.  It was proposed that a request to GoN for allocation to operational entities that has already requested fuel for additional activities. It granted there would be need for a system to manage and prioritize the allocations. AIN has tried to match the requests and is working on a prioritization scheme. The conversation will be continued between the logs cluster and AIN.
  • Winterization: Sanjeev Hada from IFRC gave an update. The shelter response is being monitored until end March. As of 3 February 34 of 35 agencies had provided data. More than 190,000 HH has have been provided with cash/voucher and shelter kits. Distribution to approx. 33,000 HH is ongoing. The last HHs will receive within the next week. The total response has covered 223,000 HHs. Agencies are now going back to look at any further needs. This information will be consolidated and shared shortly.
  • HRRP (housing/ shelter) – IOM: Suzana Paklar provided a status of the new HRRP group, which has taken over the shelter cluster plus additional areas. There was a HRRP general meeting taking place parallel with the NHCT so more information emerging from that meeting could be shared shortly. The HRRP ToRs have been endorsed and the platform is now ready to start activities. Coordinators are in place in the districts. A survey has been undertaken to get an overview of what partners are doing/planning where and with which VDCs. The analysis of the survey will be shared shortly the HRRP has started district level coordination meetings and policy and framework development with NRA at the national level. 
  • In the following discussion regarding INGOs starting work without clear guidelines from NRA, it was suggested that they go ahead however it would be important to coordinate and get the endorsement of the NRA. The reconstruction policy is expected to be ready by mid-February. Regular meetings with NRA will provide more information going forward. The chair mentioned that NRA has informed that MOUs are required by all partners. 
  • Status of camps – IOM: Patricia Shiavinato briefed on the status of the camps. The las t displacement matrix (DTM) was shared in November, identifying 100 sites with more than 20 HHs. The next DTM is being undertaken now and results expected early March. It will likely indicate which camps will be closed. However, most HHs have not returned yet due to lack of geological assessments of their homes which likely has remained unchanged. It is not expected that this new DTM report will differ much from the previous. Trainings have been undertaken in various locations and the sector is looking to grain government soon. 3300 kits have been distributed so far and 3900 kits will have been distributed by end February.
  • Health – WHO: Damodar Adhikari from WHO updated on the health situation. In January 3 outbreaks were investigated and early warning support was provide to the districts. Samples were collected and results shared with Government to respond to the outbreaks.  So far there have been no major outbreaks.
  • Pippa Bradford highlighted that it would be important also to get updates on Food Security. Assessment results shows that more than 100,000 HHs still suffers from high food insecurity. FAO informed that latest information is from October but new assessments are ongoing. Storing of crops is a continuous problem and it is recommended that Food Insecurity remains a recurring agenda point for the HCT.
  • Following discussion highlighted that it is good to maintain ongoing updates in the HCT forum despite positive status of the winterization efforts. Also to share experiences which could be valuable in preparedness efforts both for Monsoon and Earthquake.

 

3. Update on the National Reconstruction Authority (NRA)

  • The chair gave a quick update on the RA. IDPG met with Mr. Sushil Gyawali, the CEO of the National Reconstruction Authority (RA) on 21 January and Mr. Gyawali briefed on planned and ongoing work. The IDPG is updating a mapping of reconstruction activities which will be shared with the CEO once finalized to facilitate an overview of DPs support. Major concerns relate to how quick the RA can have sufficient capacity in place to undertake the required tasks. Also, the lack of a reconstruction strategy, the delays and complications in the process for allocating reconstruction grants and the risk of leaving out the most vulnerable is of concern. While waiting for the establishment of the development aid coordination committee, conversations with the RA will continue under the IDPG. 
  • Yam Nath Sharma, UNDP supplemented informing that the reconstruction framework is expected to be released on 26 April (anniversary for the earthquake) and will be developed in a consultative manner. The role of the RA is to coordinate, not to implement which will be done through line ministries and equivalent district level entities. 
  • AIN raised concern of lack of space for NGOs at a strategic level and asked for the support of development partners. Also the additional request for yet another mapping was problematic to AIN since NGOs already have a lot of reporting requirements. 
  • It was clarified that the HCT is not engaging with the RA. Action point: The chair agreed to pass on message to IDPG with regards to the concerns of NGOs

 

4. Risks and Vulnerability during Reconstruction Programme

  • Peter Rees-Guildea from the Emergency Response Unit within the RCO gave an update on risks and vulnerabilities based on the meeting earlier today of the tentative Information Coordination Platform.  It was proposed that a technical group, an Information Coordination Platform, could be established under the HCT, similar to the ICC, to continue to monitor vulnerabilities over the coming months, on a needs basis, as millions have been left vulnerable due to the EQ, in terms of access to water, durable shelter, livelihoods etc. and will likely remain so for years to come until reconstruction has been fully accomplished. It is not to replace government responsibility or efforts under recovery/reconstruction bodies, to monitor no one is left behind. It is an information sharing platform. It could cover preparedness as well. The focus should be humanitarian, not reconstruction. A ToR for the platform was shared for consideration.
  • The chair suggested to formalize this group, to meet regularly and exchange information. In case there are any issues, which needs to be addressed, the group will bring them to the attention of the HCT. 
  • Action Point: There was no objections and it was agreed to proceed with the group as per the proposed ToRs (attached for inputs).

 

5. ERP Update

  • The chair referred to the e-mail regarding the OCHA mission next week, which will be working with colleagues on the ERP Phase 2, on Earthquake preparedness. The will be facilitating a number of preparedness activities. There will be quite a few meetings, but the intention is that at the end, the following products will be in place: 

1. Logistics assumptions and an overview of the logistics concept 

2. The draft contingency plan (chapeau) with (some) cluster plans 

3. Coordination overview arrangement 

4. Agreement on Key Immediate Needs.

 

  • Ziad Sheikh, UNWOMEN, added that two meetings would also be call with regards to endorsing the gender chapter for the ERP.

 

6. AOB

 

  • The chair asked about the frequency of HCT meetings going forward. These would mainly be focusing on preparedness. 
  • Action point: It was agreed that the HCT meeting would be held on a monthly basis going forward
Attachment: Download PDF (293.82 KB) HCT Meeting Minutes_04022016.pdf